Tuesday, March 17, 2015

ajepako coming here

How did I get here again?

I took the flight with my grandmother, and she said I cried while we were waiting for our fight, in the passenger-only area. I remember that. I remember being frigidly cold in June 2003 in New York wearing a bright blue skirt suit.

The opportunity came by way of my aunt, and I was selected to come with my grandmother. Returning the favor or best possible choice. Visit turned into staying and that led to this.

We lived in Mushin. There was Onanuga street not far from Shokunbi street, and there was Kelani street not far from Mushin Olosha market. We had family living in Ajegunle, by the roundabout so I went there often. My grandmother lived there so all the cousins would be dropped off in the 3-storey building for holidays. We did not have a maid, butler, driver, or ọmọ ọ̀dọ̀ Itumo Mobile App. Now I realized that we were ajepako, relatively high on the ajepako ladder.

I went to Bright Rainbow International School, 2 Bello Street, Papa Ajao Mushin thanks to the school song. Then I did the common entrance and got into Reagan in Yaba, opposite the snooty Queens College at the last minute. Looking back on it, I got my very first exposure to the unpleasant bribery experience here. High scores + no money = closed door

I left Reagan in JS2 I think. Then I came here and did 5th grade, and 6th grade which I had skipped in Naija for Common Entrance, and onto middle school, high school, community college, and university.

It has been a most wonderful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment