Saturday, January 7, 2012

Esther Okereke

The movie is The Rule
It is directed by Prince Ikechukwu Kolawole...yeah, I rewound the clip just to see that again. Nice! 
Story by Sylvester Onyibe. 2010 film.

Okonkwo(Sam Loco Efe) sold his plot of land for her daughter Vicky(Ester okereke) to be in school, but unfortunately she came back without achieving anything bigger than pregnancy.--irokotv


YouTube

This one film called "The Rule" has impressed me thus far, and I am only 11 minutes into the film.
This is the first Nigerian movie I have seen where the word "university" is not just thrown about. Why? Because the main character actually has books with her.The attention to detail in this film impresses me. In the early scene, Vicky (played by Esther Okereke)  is in a canteen, eating and reading...Students can identify with that. I can!

The main character, Vicky is not a typecast who immediately jumps for joy when a guy says he loves her. She actually insults him-Jackson (played by Jnr Pope Odonwodo). Her words: "I am not one of those girls you can use for your October rush." That sentence alone wowed me. I had absolutely no doubt that these people are actually college students.

The interactions between the main character, Vicky, and her group of friends are portrayed well. There is also a joke about the dressing stereotypes of law/poli-sci students. It actually felt like a conversation in which each character partook, not one person talking down to, or at others. 11:11-11:54.
Juliet played by Confidence Chukwu
Phina played by Patience Okwori
Rhoda played by Catherine Asuquo

The same goes for the interaction between Jackson and his law/poli-sci friends.
Minister played by South Anthony
Humphrey played by Kingsley Ezenwome
Fred played by Sylvester Onyibe
Stanley played by John Ogadimma
Kaycee played by David Nwankwo

A group of students are actually having a discussion. I am serious. This takes me back to Oleku. The characters may not be major but they are not completely sidelined. The discussion is not overshadowed by shouting, which I found impressive. I actually felt like I was on a Naija college campus. These actors are quite good. 13:40-17:17, 18:36-19:34

I have yet to see a classroom but the interaction between the students I have seen so far has established the setting. The students actually look like college students. They have style but it is college-student style. Y'know, no overbearing makeup or clothes 'cause your money goes to tuition and they have books. The books cinched it for me.

The best reaction to a slap ever in Nollywood history: 29:36-29:45

The best part of it all is that there is absolutely no singer narrating the entire plot. No singing at all, simply appropriately-fitting sounds. I love it.

I commend:
1. The director. Well done. Prince Ikechukwu Kolawole, thank you. Your attention to detail is applauded.
2. The screenwriter. Thank you for the dialogue. The English with hints of pidgin and the humour, thank you.


Star: Esther Okereke as Vicky
I do not know much about this actress but she is good. She plays her role so well that I keep rewinding just to watch her in action. She does not scream to show her point, there is no breast attack or heel-attack or club outfit. For that, I commend the director. She speaks well. Her weave/wig is appropriate for the setting. The picture may not be that clear but she is good. I am impressed and surprised that she is not used more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment