Saturday, June 23, 2012

JYJ, an inspiration

I spent the last couple of days getting caught up on kpop, particularly DBSK/TVXQ and JYJ and I have found a new respect for the trio. JYJ is made up of Kim JaeJoong, Micky Yoochun, and Xiah Junsu. There was a lawsuit against their former management company SMEntertainment and the details of that can be heard in their music essay "Untitled"


I have yet to see a musician who has worked as hard as these trio, save for Michael Jackson. Their dedication and perseverance in the face of lawsuits, breaking up, horrible working conditions with mere hours of sleep and sesaeng fans (stalkers) is amazing and endearing. They encourage me not to quit and my life is nowhere as hectic as theirs. I can only go so many days without my nine hours of sleep and even then I am neither a morning person nor a people person. 

I applaud them for daring to do that which no one else has done, confronting the bully that is SM Entertainment. I was in tears while reading the stories, thanks to SeoulBeatsSoompi, and allkpop. I have so much more respect for these guys and that has grown so much after listening to their music and watching their creative talents. Junsu's "Tarantallegra" is marvelously symbolic and just very impressive. 


Now I see the musician, not just the idol. I really do hope they have a psychologist and a physician on retainer. Their body and mind has been through so much more than the average person and I fear for their mental health. I am a Naija babe and I love my Naija acts but those guys are not on this level, not yet--and I don't even understand Korean. That says something. Lagbaja, Nneka, Sound Sultan, Asa and perhaps sometimes MI do give me good music but the video is not so noteworthy. I'm not dissing my Naija musicians, just amp it up a little. 

JYJ is slowly shedding that idol image and moving onto the musician stage. Now if only SM would stop with the bitch moves and cut their losses and move on. It seems they do not realize that the harder they make it for JYJ, the greater their popularity. I am proud of these young men and I wish them successes in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment